July 7 – 13, 2019
Not only is Victoria a beautiful natural setting at the South most tip of Vancouver Island, it is an incredibly historic, early settlement, the capital city of British Columbia. It also has some of the best dining in the space of a very short walk around the beautiful downtown harbor, which also has great shopping and, of course, British high tea rooms. Victoria is also known for its antiques and its bookstores. Many independent bookstores and publishers thrive here including Monro’s Books started in 1963 by the late husband of the 2013 Nobel Prize Winner for Literature, Alice Monro.
This retreat will encompass both fiction and non-fiction writers and include 4 classes and 1 workshop which will primarily review basic story structure and word play, as well as other aspects of writing basics. As with our other retreats we aim to build a solid support group of writers regardless of their writing level. You also get customized one-on-one writing coaching included. Meanwhile, there will be optional guided and unguided time to explore Victoria, stroll beaches and seawalls one block away, and visit restaurants and shops.
The retreat house is a large renovated comfortable Victorian house, one block off the beach. A peaceful, oasis for creativity and reflection.
This retreat will end off including an event of a exclusive tour of Craigdarroch Castle, a Picnic on the Castle’s grounds followed by a Writing Workshop inspired by the tour right there!
As we update this page, please contact email@example.com to learn more, or call 604-706-2388.
- 1 Private Bedroom in Retreat House for 7 nights
- 4 Classes with Continental Breakfast (vegan/gluten-free options on request)
- 1 Castle Tour, Writing Workshop and Picnic (incl. transport)
- 1 Writing Coaching Session 1-on-1, Custom for You
- 1 Tour and Restaurant guides for 3 outings (includes transport, does not include cost of restaurants)
- 1 Farewell Dinner (wine not included)
The total cost for above is $1385.
July 7 – 13, 2019
|Jul-07||Sunday||Cocktail night… Getting to Know the Group|
|Jul-08||Monday||Breakie and Class||8:00||9:00||to 10:30 AM|
|Jul-09||Tuesday||Breakie and Class||8:00||9:00||to 10:30 AM|
|Jul-10||Wednesday||Breakie and Class||8:00||9:00||to 10:30:00 AM|
|Jul-11||Thursday||Breakie and Class||8:00||9:00||to 10:30:00 AM|
|Jul-12||Friday||Tours & Farewell Dinner||Out for Breakie, Lunch and 7pm Dinner|
|Jul-13||Saturday||Craigdarroch Castle Tour, Writing Workshop and Picnic||11:00am|
The retreat house is a large renovated comfortable Victorian house, one block off the beach at Ross Bay, a backyard conversation circle, resident deer, a block from the beach and lots of quiet living spaces indoors and out and three bathrooms. A peaceful, oasis for creativity and reflection. You will have a private bedroom if you are the first seven to sign up. House is also a short walk to good shopping center with market and your hosts will also drive you there on a initial store run.
To reserve you must put a deposit of $200 and phone or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-706-2388.
ONLY $200 CAD deposit to reserve
If button above does not work paste the below link into your browser:
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, is on Vancouver Island. If you are on the Island you can drive or take other transport. If you are on the mainland you can:
- Take a plane to YYJ Victoria International Airport (West Jet, Delta, Alaska, United, Air Canada are the most common airlines used) and we will pick you up for an additional $50 (cabs are $75) and take you to the retreat house.
- Drive and take your car on a BC Ferry to the island and drive into Victoria and retreat house.
- Walk-on the BC Ferry and take the excellent bus service (#70) for $2.50 and we will pick up in Victoria, end of line, and take you to the retreat house for $10 or pick you up at the Ferry terminal for $50.
- Drive and take a Port Angeles Coho ferry from Washington State (through customs) and we will pick up on at the dock and take you to the retreat house for $10
- Take a Harbour Air plane from Vancouver harbour to Victoria harbour and we will pick up on at the dock and take you to the retreat house for $10
Call us to ask the route we think is easiest and best for you based on where you are coming from, 604-706-2388.
Retreats with Kathrin Lake, Writing Coach and Author of Writing with Cold Feet and The A to Zen of Writing and The Happy Hammock.
Kathrin Lake is an author and writing coach with over 20 years experience teaching writing to adults in a way no one else does. Kathrin is an award winning playwright, screenwriter, author, former newspaper editor and has helped hundreds of people write their first books and published works, and helped many more get over their fears and procrastination around writing. You may find her books on Amazon.
- People who enjoy working in groups, as well as on their own, will thrive in this retreat
- You don’t have to be published or be a experienced writer to enjoy or get great value out of this retreat, you just need to be able to participate
- We embrace all genres, fiction and non-fiction as the exercises and class materials work for both
- You are up for having both a terrific creative experience as well as a fun holiday!
Refund of Deposits / Cancellation Policy
Retreats need to be reserved with a $200 deposit which will be fully refunded on a cancellation done by patron 50 days before the beginning of the retreat. The balance or full facilitation fees will be expected 30 days before the beginning of the retreat and an invoice will be sent to you. Should you have to cancel after that date the refunds for the full retreat fees are as follows:
Cancellation more than 50 days before due arrival date, 100% refund
Cancellation 49 to 30 days before due arrival date, 50% refund
Cancellation 29 to 21 days before due arrival date, 25% refund
Cancellation 20 days or less before due arrival date, 0% refund
NOTE: In lieu of refund, should you not be able to attend the retreat yourself, you may substitute another individual that can say and enthusiastic YES to the bullet points above.