Reposting this worthwhile blog:
BY ON • ( 11 COMMENTS )
- Who’s looking for Story submissions
- What’s the average pay for a short story
- Sources for reading some really incredible work
- Learning which types of stories are being bought
Constantly Updated Open Submissions
Horror Factor: horror.fictionfactor.com
This is an incredibly thorough source for Horror Market Listings sorted into multiple categories based on their level of pay. It’s a fantastic place to dig for submission options.
They also have a free ebook available for download with all of this goodness: horror.fictionfactor.com/horrormarketguide
Dark Markets: www.darkmarkets.com
a website sharing links for printed and digital story submissions. Anthologies etc.
The Horror Tree: horrortree.com
Horror Tree is a website that posts new submissions for multiple types of speculative fiction publications. It’s worth popping in from time to time the newest submission announcements.
I also like this post on letswriteashortstory.com of 46 Literary Magazines To Submit To is pretty darn helpful.
– www.nightmare-magazine.com Online horror and dark fantasy magazine
“In Nightmare’s pages, you will find all kinds of horror fiction, from zombie stories and haunted house tales, to visceral psychological horror.
Edited by bestselling anthologist John Joseph Adams, every month Nightmare brings you a mix of originals and reprints, and featuring a variety of authors—from the bestsellers and award-winners you already know to the best new voices you haven’t heard of yet. When you read Nightmare, it is our hope that you’ll see where horror comes from, where it is now, and where it’s going.” [http://www.nightmare-magazine.com/about/]
- Fiction Short Stories only (no poetry, no non-fiction)
- Dark Fantasy
- “No subject should be considered off-limits”
- Accepts stories of 1500-7500 words
- Stories of 5000 words or less are preferred
Submission Guidelines: www.nightmare-magazine.com
Submission Portal: http://submissions.johnjosephadams.com/nightmare
- Original Fiction: 6 cents per word
- Reprints: 1 cent per word
– www.tor.com Online Science Fiction and Fantasy Fiction Market
General Guidelines: http://www.tor.com/submissions-guidelines/
Short Story Submission Details
- http://www.tor.com/submissions-guidelines/#Fiction Submission Guidelines
- original stories under 12,000 words
- over 17,500 words
- novels or serializations
- 25 cents a word for the first 5,000 words
- 15 cents a word for the next 5,000
- and 10 cents a word after that.
- the right to publish the story at Tor.com and related electronic endeavors
- the right (with additional royalties) to include the story in Tor.com-branded anthologies.
- All rights acquired are exclusive for a year
- non-exclusive 1 year
Submission Portal: http://submissions.tor.com/tororiginals/
– pseudopod.org Genre Audio magazine (podcast and online)
- Dark, weird fiction
- genre definitions don’t matter
- Literary stories are as welcome as shock-value pulp fiction
- Originality is key (avoid recognizable horror tropes)
- Original Fiction
- 1,500 – 6,000 words
- 4,500 words is ideal
- Flash Fiction: 1,500 words or less, with a sweet spot between 500 and 1000 words.
- stories with lengthy beautiful language and expansive of plots (since it’s an audio performance).
- Original Fiction: 6 cents a word up to 6,000 words
- Reprints: $100 flat rate
- Flash Fiction (1500 words or less): $20 flat rate
- buys nonexclusive audio rights
- nonexclusive electronic rights to distribute the audio file under a Creative Commons license
- license applies only to our audio performance of your work
- you retain your copyright and all rights to any other use of the story
Submission Portal: https://pseudopod.submittable.com/submit
Dark Fuse Magazine
– www.darkfusemagazine.com an online publication for horror
Editor: Shane Staley
Short Story Specifications
- Original fiction only
- anything with a dark slant
Flash Fiction Specifications
- Original fiction
- horror etc.
- Short Stories: 1,000 – 2,000
- Will publish longer stories maximum is 15,000.
- Flash Fiction: 99 – 999 words